Page 146 - Molehill Mountain

10th Jul 2012, 6:00 AM
Molehill Mountain
Average Rating: 5 (4 votes)
<<First Latest>>

Author Notes:

Newbiespud 10th Jul 2012, 6:00 AM edit delete
Newbiespud
Story time!

In the comments, tell a story about what a DM does to nudge the players forward a little when they've been paralyzed for too long.

209 Comments:

Cain 10th Jul 2012, 6:00 AM edit delete reply
Cain
well, when I was DM for my group there was the were-rat incident, Ranubis was trying to be diplomatic, and I am not one who could pull off diplomacy for long, it continues for about 5 min and one of the other's in the party decided to help out and shoots the one Ra's talking to in the eye and so I start having them shout about treachery and he's trying to calm them down even as he starts beating them with his hammer.
Guest 10th Jul 2012, 6:05 AM edit delete reply
You cheek, I saw your comment was "nice" and then you changed it!
Cain 10th Jul 2012, 6:08 AM edit delete reply
Cain
well, I had to find my story as I don't know which it'll be ahead of time, and I drag myself out of bed to have a Guest complaining at me? I'm not paid enough for this *goes back to sleep*
Ranubis 10th Jul 2012, 8:21 AM edit delete reply
Ranubis
That was a fun session. I remember I hadn't decided if I was going to play Davven as a nice paladin or a Lawful Stupid paladin, so I spent the entire battle hitting the were-rats with the side of my hammer and apologizing.
Long lurker, recent poste 10th Jul 2012, 2:08 PM edit delete reply
You're paid for this? :D
Disloyal Subject 13th Nov 2013, 2:29 PM edit delete reply
Heh... in my first campaign ever, I (a brokenly overpowered githyanki Fighter/Ultimate Magus gestalt in 3.5) made some ridiculous bluff checks to talk the bad guy into leaving the bar and coming to the stables with me, saying that my boss (actually the party ranger) wanted to hire him. Then, we sucked at actually RPing the deception, so I tried to deck him... he stabbed me, a lot. I hate NPCs with Sneak Attack.
KitchenSink 10th Jul 2012, 6:04 AM edit delete reply
So... No song?
Zuche 10th Jul 2012, 6:17 AM edit delete reply
Fluttershy, don't be a lump,
If you won't fly, then you must jump!
Pinkie Pie is here for you,
Now take a chance before I'm through!

...Better?
Umiyuri Papaeyra 10th Jul 2012, 6:59 AM edit delete reply
Umiyuri Papaeyra
Let's do this thing.

Now Fluttershy, dearie, don't worry or fret
The worst you can do is fall down and get wet!
So scrunch up your nose and stand firm on your hooves
And show everypony that you've got the moves!
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 7:13 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Well, if you mean lying in a pool of your own blood from falling down a ravine, then yes, getting wet is a potential consequence of failure in this circumstance.
Umiyuri Papaeyra 10th Jul 2012, 7:24 AM edit delete reply
Umiyuri Papaeyra
How topical! My hands are bleeding right now.
Digo 10th Jul 2012, 7:50 AM edit delete reply
Now now Umiyuri
The bleeding you can stop
Just wash off all the redness
And bandage cuts on top
Zuche 10th Jul 2012, 9:21 AM edit delete reply
You say stigmata, I say tomato...
Zeeth 11th Jul 2012, 7:15 AM edit delete reply
"Toe-MAY-toe, toe-MAH-toe."

"Termattah."
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 6:19 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Oh panel #6. So exploitable.

Alternate captions for Pinkie Pie:
"You gonna get inspired"
"Roll for initiative"
"Never split the party"

As far as story goes, I'm not really sure if any such situation came up yet in the comments campaign. Do the flaming zombies count?
Cain 10th Jul 2012, 6:32 AM edit delete reply
Cain
Song Time Edit: I guess not...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWcCskvU3vE
Digo 10th Jul 2012, 6:50 AM edit delete reply
"You gonna get inspired"

I'm picturing how my party would do it-- they'd set fluttershy's ledge on fire.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 7:10 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Well, there was that point where Tiffany, Horizon, and Rolf were all headed backstage, leaving Skitter to fight the necromancers by himself. Ramsus tried to lure us back with both stick (You're just gonna leave the crowd to die?) and carrot (These guys must have some loot).

Then Zarhon gave us some hints about how to potentially deal with the crowd, and reminded us of the first rule of adventuring.

"Loot is important."

I took this to mean that Rolf probably should go back. Luckily, Horizon let go of him at that point, and eventually each pair got their own combat encounter (Skitter and Rolf against the flaming zombies, Tiffany and Horizon against the necromancers backstage).

As for splitting the party, well, I think Tiffany has the record for most times changing direction (following Horizon backstage, going through the stalls to help Skitter, following the blood trail backstage). But I think we'll all join up fairly soon.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 8:10 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Hah, actually, I wasn't implying on that at all. You weren't looking at the big picture.

And yes, Tiffany seems to get distracted easily. She's also had the least combat so far. Hopefully that will change for the update (Giving it 2 more hours).
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 8:36 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Yeah, we really need to look at these scrolls, don't we?

Worst case scenarios:
1."Turns out adventurers seem to think that the undead are particularly weak to fire. While obviously fire has no real effect on a zombie's battle capabilities, we are researching ways to make our zombies STRONGER when set ablaze."
2. "If everything goes according to plan, the audience should get a full dose of time-delayed zombie powder. There should be enough time for the crowd to be "rescued" and scatter across the city before it activates."
3."We managed to get one of those thieving children mobs to attack Jimmy (Those kids scare me). The director will probably have to resort to recruiting whatever magic-using novice walks in off the street. If we're lucky, the stun spell should work long enough for our master to use his silent Permanency touch spell on him (probably by patting the poor soul on the back or something)."
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 9:52 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Hmmmmm...

*Sound of text files being typed out*
LoganAura 10th Jul 2012, 9:57 AM edit delete reply
LoganAura
"If ya hadn't sthought of that, ya can't use it."
To quote applejack from a while back.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 10:00 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Thank you, LoganAura.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 10:11 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Blah, you shouldn't have given the GM ideas.

Also, I sent Zarhon a PM.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 10:19 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
I maintain that I didn't set any zombies on fire. I set people on fire, ad then they became zombies. I'm not dumb, I wouldn't set any zombie on fire for any reason- that's just not how you deal with them.

Also, by my clock its been two hours.
Zuche 10th Jul 2012, 6:34 AM edit delete reply
"Look, the worst that can happen is that the story proceeds in a different fashion."

It's usually best to skip the part about how that might involve a funeral or two.
Digo 10th Jul 2012, 6:48 AM edit delete reply
The cheap way to push my party is to have the villain threaten a liked NPC. :D Usually works to motivate the party forward into the situation, but of course it is a cheap tactic and shouldn't be used too often.

Sometimes though, the party just can't be pushed. It happened recently in the DCC module "Vault of the Dragon Kings". The party got to the doors of the final chamber, but they were running very low on healing spells and potions.
Even though I modified the module to where there were 3 villains that would all fight eachother, thus allowing the PCs to simply pick off the weakened winner, they decided instead to sleep 8 hours for spells and try in the morning.

Obviously the villains didn't wait around 8 hours and thus two villains were found dead and a third ran off with the MacGuffin. >_>
Oh and the aformentioned liked NPC was killed. Go team.
Thousand Year Sunrise 10th Jul 2012, 7:21 AM edit delete reply
Well, I haven't had the chance to DM yet, but I've been watching the "Counter Monkey" series over at the Spoony Experiment, and I've learned one way to get PCs to do just about anything:

Steal from them.

Like, if they're sleeping one night, and some thieves just take their boots and run, the party will pursue them across all of time and space.
Digo 10th Jul 2012, 7:52 AM edit delete reply
I 100% vouch for this. It's how I accidently got a third-rate minor mook to replace the 3rd tier deadly red dragon as the Main Boss of my campaign.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 7:58 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Can double vouch on it. :3

Hennith95 15th Jul 2012, 6:58 PM edit delete reply
I've also seen this tactic cause a player character's interest in items do a complete 180.

DM: "A cackling goblin runs out of the tavern, holding a Rod of Wonder."
Wizard: "Meh. Those things aren't worth the effort."
DM: "It was YOUR Rod of Wonder."
Wizard: "HE SHALL PAY!"
LoganAura 10th Jul 2012, 7:57 AM edit delete reply
LoganAura
Not PARALYZED, but Grey used his Rule of Funny ability to make Contrived Coincidence since he was running late to the first meet up.
http://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=11431&page=1
Thread boosting for Stormy/Kriss
kriss1989 10th Jul 2012, 8:45 AM edit delete reply
kriss1989
My character has arrived and apologized for his lateness. He was busy teaching orphans how to read.
Karilyn 10th Jul 2012, 8:28 AM edit delete reply
Karilyn
NOTE: Session 3.5 should go up in about 5 hours... I hope. I'm only human, and I have to sleep sometime. Unfortunately due to working on coloring the fanart, which took up about uh... 20 hours... I haven't found time to edit the NPC or Player Cheat Sheets. I'll try to get to those eventually.

I attempted a very different style of writing this time, attempting to create a proper in-character narrative, and transcribe lots of the better dialogue from the session. In addition, I also moved virtually all out of character content to the comments on the right hand side of the document where they can be easily read without breaking the story's flow. Let me know what you think!

There's a new player in this session, Charming Waltz. A womanizing ciderholic noble from Canterlot, who's special talent is parties (of a very different sort than Pinkie Pie is used to).

image

Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Session 01 - The Mystery at Winter's End
Session 02 - Like a Ship Over Troubled Firestorm
Session 03 - The Devil Went Down to Equestria (NEW!)
Session 3.5 - Don't Go Changeling to Try and Please Me (COMING LATER TODAY!) (I hope T_T)

Recorded Session Audio
Session 3.5 - Don't Go Changeling to Try and Please Me (COMING LATER TODAY!) (I hope T_T)

Prologue Fanfiction
Chapter 01 - Inky Quills: Runaway Writer (By Ranubis)
Chapter 02 - Soaring Song, Quiet Giant (By Oblivious)

Resources
Player Cheat Sheet
NPC Cheat Sheet
NPC Cheat Sheet (Spoiler Free Version)

Fun Stuff!
Our First Proper Fanart! Colors by Karilyn, Lineart by ThousandYearSunrise (Go read his comic!) (NEW!)
Photo of the Current Party (Say hi to Stylus!)
A Quick Little Gag Battle Photo
Stylus
XandZero2 10th Jul 2012, 9:02 AM edit delete reply
20 hours huh?

...And that's just on the fanart?

Man, that's some dedication. What system are you guys using for this, BTW? Is it that Unknown Armies Mod?
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 9:55 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
Nope, it's a system called Pony Tales. I designed it specifically for MLP online adventures, completely from scratch. It's been a blast. Even ran it by Newbiespud just last night and he loved it, to the point where he's going to guest-star in the game to try it out. =)

I'll be happy to post the system soon.

And Karilyn, kickass again. As always. And check out ThosandYearSunrise's comic, tis well deserved.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 10:18 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Dat cloud indeed.

Also, chapter 3.5 sounds kinky: Like a crack fic Inky Quills would write.
Karilyn 10th Jul 2012, 1:34 PM edit delete reply
Karilyn
@XandZero2
20 hours huh? ...And that's just on the fanart?
Yeah, 20 hours, cause I'm not a digital artist. I have no real experience in it. I more or less had to brute force my way through. By the end, I was able to streamline the process a lot, and complete Stylus in only 45 minutes (But then again she didn't have a cutie mark or stripes in her mane), though I imagine that still is an excessive amount of time.

@Thousand Year Sunrise
Those are some AMAZING colors on the PC ponies! You really brought them to life!
Thank you. I'm lucky that my knowledge of color theory is a transferable skill from traditional to digital mediums.
Thousand Year Sunrise 10th Jul 2012, 10:19 AM edit delete reply
Those are some AMAZING colors on the PC ponies! You really brought them to life!

If you want a drawing of Charming Waltz, just tell me who you'd want to base him on.

Oh, and one small thing. I'm actually a guy. Just wanted to prevent confusion.
Azureink 10th Jul 2012, 7:33 PM edit delete reply
Azureink
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/azureink/unicornavatar.png
Thousand Year Sunrise 10th Jul 2012, 10:20 AM edit delete reply
FORGOT TO MENTION Thank you SO MUCH for reading and recommending my comic!
Thousand Year Sunrise 10th Jul 2012, 10:52 AM edit delete reply
Oh, and if you listened to the wise words of Karilyn and Stairc so that you're interested in reading my comic, it's right here: http://thousandyearsunrise.deviantart.com/gallery/37268241

It's my take on the story of how Luna and Celestia became rulers of Equestria over a thousand years ago.
ThousandYearSunrise 10th Jul 2012, 11:26 AM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
Leaving three replies to the same comment has finally convinced me to set up an actual account. So I did that. Ta-da!
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 11:39 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
Welcome to the herd. =)
ThousandYearSunrise 10th Jul 2012, 11:43 AM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
Hrmm. Is it really "welcome to the herd" if I've been following the comic for a couple months and I've been a brony for half a year? Or is this just because I set up an account with ComicFury?

Well, it's probably for the ComicFury part of it. But this raises a point; do we really want to keep using the slightly creepy terms? Saying stuff like "welcome to the herd" might be putting people off.
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 12:21 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
The rule of funny almost always supports memes. ;)

Thanks again for the great art. And drawing some significant NPCs might be best for next. Like Charity Plush - the lovely white unicorn with a blue mane - and Mephisto (the black coated, red-maned alicorn with eyes of blazing purple and fangs glistening in his mouth).

ThousandYearSunrise 10th Jul 2012, 12:26 PM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
I might be able to whip something up tonight. I'll do the colors in these, just so that Karilyn can get some sleep.
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 12:50 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Good man. She deserves it.

Charity Plush tends to wear an elegant gown - your call if you want to include that.
ThousandYearSunrise 10th Jul 2012, 1:07 PM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
How elegant are we talking here? Like, on a scale with Disney Princess at the top to Xena: Warrior Princess at the bottom.

ALSO, it says on the NPC Cheat Sheet that Charity Plush has a gold mane, is that wrong?
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 2:02 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Whoops. Meant to write gold, got her confused. Yes, she has a gold mane.

And the elegant gown is something that would be comfortable at the grand galloping gala. As long as it's fine, lovely clothing - she could wear it. 7-10 on the disney princess-to-xena scale. However, she'd never wear anything so frilly it looks ridiculous.
ThousandYearSunrise 10th Jul 2012, 3:32 PM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
Gotcha. Commencing drawing in T-minus five minutes. ETA: 11:00 EST.

Also, one thing I just want to draw attention to: I like making funny scales for things. My best one is the "stressed-out" scale: It goes from "Jeff Bridges" (none) to "Jeff Goldblum" (very)
LoganAura 10th Jul 2012, 4:02 PM edit delete reply
LoganAura
I like tho do the same thing. MY "Evil DM" scale goes from Fluttershy with the CMC and Stairc. I rank rather near Stairc :3
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 5:54 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
*laughs*

Oh I'm going to quote that in future.
ThousandYearSunrise 10th Jul 2012, 7:17 PM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
http://thousandyearsunrise.deviantart.com/art/StairC-Charity-Plush-and-Mephisto-313921990

Completed almost forty-five minutes ahead of schedule! This, obviously, excludes any time I'll be spending making corrections.

And thank you again for the recommendation, I have people commenting on my comic and it's wonderful!
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 11:46 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Awesome Thousand-Year! That's absolutely amazing. Everyone in the session, and I mean everyone, gushed in how perfect Charity Plush was in particular.
ThousandYearSunrise 11th Jul 2012, 7:30 AM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
Thank you so much! And I blush to disclose that I was pretty proud of her too.

I'm thinking I can do a pic a week for you guys, how does that sound? If you describe what you want, I can spend an evening drawing up a memorable moment from your campaign.
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 12:15 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Sounds fantastic. Thanks again for this, you all are really bringing the game to life. I'm officially crediting you as an artist on the Pony Tales system document. =)

Hmm, what to ask you to do from last session's adventure... Such a devilishly difficult decision. There were so many amazing moments. I wonder what the group would like.
kriss1989 10th Jul 2012, 7:16 PM edit delete reply
kriss1989
My character has a -14 penalty to flight.

He sends my character to investigate a cloud home by myself.
City Strider 10th Jul 2012, 9:05 PM edit delete reply
City Strider
And my city ranger without ranks in Handle Animal has to go investigate Fluttershy's home by herself :P

Logan's taken good notes, Stairc.
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 11:47 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Yep, a good DM structures challenges that give characters a chance to shine as well as those that expose their weaknesses. That way the experience is varied and min/maxing becomes more meaningful.

It's the same in combat. If a cleric has turn undead, you should definitely make sure that undead show up from time to time so he can blast them hard. In combat everypony deserves a chance to be awesome... And everypony deserves a chance to feel like they're in danger.

Logan is learning well
Oblivious 11th Jul 2012, 2:51 AM edit delete reply
Oblivious
So that's why we get borked over so badly...oh, wait, that's just us.
ThousandYearSunrise 11th Jul 2012, 7:25 AM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
Of course, there's the perpetual question of what the DM believes that their role is. Some DMs think that it's their job to guide the players through an interesting story, whereas others are trying their hardest to kill the PCs. It's a delicate balancing act.
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 8:28 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
Any game that a DM is trying their hardest to kill the PCs tends to end quickly... Since the DM can just put Tiamat in the next room. ;)

Personally, my goal as a DM is the same as my goal whenever I work on any art, it's to create an amazing experience for the players. I feel that means freedom to choose multiple directions, huge positives and crushing negatives and an incredible adventure filled with triumph and tragedy... With every chance for the ending to be happy if they can pull it off. =)
Karilyn 11th Jul 2012, 8:31 AM edit delete reply
Karilyn
Trying their hardest to kill the PCs? Puh-Leeze. Did you forget that the DMs are effectively gods in the universe? If they actually wanted to or were trying their hardest to kill the PCs, it would be as easy as crushing an ant under your thumb. There's a reason that the "rock falls everyone dies" meme exists. Because it really is that easy.
kriss1989 11th Jul 2012, 4:08 PM edit delete reply
kriss1989
KEY TRADE! Expert flyer in the sky now.
XandZero2 10th Jul 2012, 9:06 AM edit delete reply
Also, as far as giving the party a nudge, I usually do it the lame way. I have an NPC give a not-so-subtle reminder, something like,

"Come on, guys! Let's get across this chasm before the crows peck out all our eyeballs while we fight them on the slippery impromptu tree-bridge!"

That scenario happened once when I decided to have endless waves of crows swarm down and attack the party. I got to the 4th or 5th wave, and the party still didn't get the fact that the crows were going to just keep coming until they crossed the bridge.

Oy veh.
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 9:56 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
Give the party a nudge?

The whole 3rd adventure. Karilyn got absolutely fluttershy-paralyzed-by-fear throughout 90% of the session. It was adorable
Karilyn 10th Jul 2012, 3:14 PM edit delete reply
Karilyn
It wasn't me! It was Inky Quills! Really! I'm big brave and tough! Nothing scares me!
Cain 11th Jul 2012, 5:44 AM edit delete reply
Cain
riiiight... I doubt it. It's normal to fear, just learn to control it.
ThousandYearSunrise 11th Jul 2012, 7:31 AM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Karilyn 11th Jul 2012, 8:55 AM edit delete reply
Karilyn
I am the warrior.
My blade cleaves all.
My heart fears none.
Cain 11th Jul 2012, 11:42 AM edit delete reply
Cain
nice Dune quote.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 10:14 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
The only thing I can think is that if a player is taking to long to decide, the DM (and most of the players) will offer advice along the lines of, "JUST FUCKIN GO!!!"
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 10:21 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Campaign continuation part 4: Horizon dies horribly

Rolf & Skitter

Skitter pulls out all the items from the sack, explaining what they know so far about them. Rolf inspects the gem, amulet, potions and scrolls.

Gem -> 7+8 = 15
Amulet -> 15 + 8 = 23
Blue potion jar -> 2 + 8 = 10
Delicate yellow potion -> 9+8 = 17
Trapped grey scroll #1 -> Nat 1
Trapped black scroll #2 -> 7 + 8 = 15

(took the liberty of renaming the items for simpler reference)

Gem
- You gleam that the gem was used to rub, scratch or cut something often.
- It's enchanted with a spell of the abjuration school.

Amulet
- The amulet contains magic of both necromantic, enchantment and divination spells within it.

Blue potion Jar
- You have no idea what this stuff is. Looks harmless though.

Delicate yellow potion
- You recognize the potion as a highly volatile compound. Exposing it to the air will cause it to heat up to extreme temperatures. This stuff is usually mixed with other potions in order to heat them quickly, or to make embers burn like hellfire.

Trapped grey scroll

Before Skitter can warn you properly, you unseal and open the scroll, triggering the runes. The scroll blanks itself and its magic expells itself randomly into the area. As the magic fades away, the scroll vanishes along with it.

Trapped black scroll

After Skitter yells at you for a bit for ruining his scroll, you *carefully* check the other scroll, making sure you don't open it or tamper with it's runes.
- The scroll contains an evocation spell. Due to the raw power of such spells, triggering the trap runes could prove harmful, if not fatal.

You check out the final two scrolls. You examine them closely and quickly deduce that they aren't trapped in any way. You read the first scroll.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
YOU AND OTHERS HAVE BEEN CHOSEN
YOUR ASSIGNMENT IS THE TEMPLE
ENSURE YOU HAVE ALL THE ITEMS REQUIRED
CONTACT IMMEDIATELY IF ANYTHING IS MISSING
KILL THE GOOD-RUNNER THAT BROUGHT YOU THIS MESSAGE
DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS ON THE OTHER SCROLL, USE THE ITEM PROVIDED
SUCCEED, AND BE REWARDED
FAIL, AND SUFFER
DESTROY THIS SCROLL AFTER READING IT

You don't detect any trace of magic on this scroll.

You unseal and check the other scroll. To your surprise, it's completely blank.

Horizon

Feint -> 4 - 3 = 1 -> Failure
Stab -> 19 -> Success

Your scimitar misses, but your kukri strikes true, sinking into his side as he screams in pain. The sorcerer is critically injured - He'll bleed out in a minute if he doesn't get aid. He's barely standing.

Save vs 'inflict wounds'-> 14 - 5 = 9 -> Failure
(Touch attack, close proximity)

Enraged, he retaliates by grabbing your arm and shoulder and casting a spell. An intense pain overcomes you as you feel your skin rupturing where he was touching you, forcing you to let go of your Kukri (which is now lodged inside his abdomen). Your other arm is still useable, but the pain is making it hard to concentrate.

Tiffany

You run out of the carriage. Horizon is fighting one of those necromancers. Both of them look hurt, though the necromancer looks like he's about to fall dead any moment.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 10:25 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Tiffany tried to throw her hammer at the necromancer, hoping to hit him in the head.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 10:38 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
No warning or anything? You just hurl the hammer at the guy I happen to be standing next to and hope to hit him? Bracing for impact. This won't end well.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 10:42 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Near blinded by pain, Horizon drops to a knee, and lashes out at the Necromancer's legs.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 10:54 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Tiffany

HAMMERTIME -> 16 - 5 = 11 -> Success
(Lucky!)

You throw your hammer with all your might. Horizon barely manages to sidestep in time before a hammer sails past his head and embeds itself in the necromancers face with a sickening crunching sound. He's knocked to the floor from the force of the blow and doesn't get back up, two weapons sticking out of his body.

Horizon

Recovering your weapon, you see that the other necromancer is scrambling with a magic scroll.

Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 11:02 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Or that.

In a pain-fueled fury, Horizon charges and tackles him to the ground, one hand at his throat, the other delivering powerful blows to his face and body, in an attempt to beat him into submission.

Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 11:04 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
(Yay! Lucky!)

Tiffany shuddered before moving forward. "I suggest you stop. There are ways of keeping the dead dead."
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 11:23 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Horizon halts his pummeling for a moment. "Its not another zombie I'm worried about." He delivers another swift punch to the trapped necromancer, who is rapidly losing consciousness. "We don't need him escaping. Normally I would just kill him, but I have a feeling he can be of use to us. Got any rope?"
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 11:27 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
"No but I have a ten foot pole." Tiffany replied, moving over to the Necromancer.

(Hey, I think Rolf and Tiffany should fall in love.)
Calypso 11th Jul 2012, 4:08 PM edit delete reply
Nonono, Skitterny. Or Tiffatter. It was love at first not learning your name. Don't you remember that one time they had that conversation? Love was in the air >:D
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 10:52 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf mentally berated himself. How could he be so foolish, randomly opening that scroll. Now whatever information or magic was in it was lost. He had to be more careful.

He told the kobold, "Look, I'm really sorry, I wasn't thinking straight. I can tell that the other scroll has an evocation spell."

The kobold stared blankly.

"The spells that go boom. If you can help me open it, it could be very useful. But there is a chance it could literally blow up in our faces. Give it some thought."

Rolf finally looked at the blank sheet of paper. Obviously there was a hidden message on the second piece of paper, but how to get at it. Rolf tried to remember different nonmagical ways to put invisible messages on paper. There was that old trick with lemon juice, and you could use a piece of charcoal to read a message if the paper on top was written with the pen pressed down hard...

A thought stuck him. He pulled out the pouch of mineral glue, grabbed some with his robe (wouldn't want sticky fingers with these bony hands), dropped on the blank sheet, and started shaking the paper back and forth. While he did this, he asked, "By the way, kobold, what's your name?"
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 10:49 AM edit delete reply
Ramsus
(LMAO we stole the adventure. I say we name this adventuring party "the Self-Chosen Ones". =P )

Skitter, being not exactly stupid but, certainly impulsive grabs the gem and rubs it on the blank paper to see if anything will happen.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 11:01 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
(ninja'd. Hope this works.)

Rolf quickly pulled the paper away from the kobold as he saw the gem go toward him. "Careful with that. That gem's got an abjuration spell, a defensive spell. It means...well, you'd probably be fine, but I could be pushed back by a shield or sucked into another dimension. Look, we can test it out later, alright?" Rolf shook his head as he continued shaking the paper.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 11:07 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
(Hmmm... That's pretty clever Lynt, but not quite what I was aiming at.)

Rolf

The mineral glue appears to be sticking to the paper, but not enough to give off any kind of message. Inspecting the paper further, you discover that it in fact has a very faint illusion on it. One of it's somatic components must have been a mineral of some sort, and it left tiny traces on the paper when the illusion was cast.

Skitter

You ignore the bony man and rub the gem onto the paper anyway. Nothing happens, other than getting the gem sticky from the mineral glue. You consider licking it clean again.
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 11:15 AM edit delete reply
Ramsus
"Hmm. It's gooey. Do you think someone wrote a message in goo? Maybe we could throw some dirt on it and see what sticks?"
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 11:22 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf glared at the kobold, who was trying to unstick the gem from his fingers. Well, the mineral glue was a bust, but at least the process had revealed a faint illusion spell over it. Let's see, the paper was to be read with an item in the sack, the opposite of illusion was...

Divination. Rolf grabbed the amulet, held it to his eye (or, rather, eye socket), and looked through it at the blank paper.


edit: As he did this, Rolf said, "The "goo" was from the glue, I had hoped it would just stick to the writing and reveal it. Throwing dirt on it now would just make things worse. And what is your name, I'd prefer to not always refer to you as 'kobold'."
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 11:38 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
I think Tiffany and Horizon should continue their conversation at the bottom. I was surprised to see new dialogue as I was scrolling down to the bottom (as well as the assumption that Horizon successfully attacking the man was a given).

*Reads Kris's comment* And the shipping begins.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 11:47 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
(LOL. I'm always a shipper!)
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 12:13 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
That's the thing about this game: if enough time passes or enough people go with it, the less chance the DM will come back and say "no, rewind, none that happened, because...". It might also have to to with the fact that I am trying to advance the story, finally.

Also, Skitter should fall in love with Rolf as well (lol how do i shipping?).

"Believe it or not, that does not help us right now. It's alright, though." Horizon stands, releasing the now immobile necromancer. "I don't think he's going anywhere on his own right now." Horizon goes to pick up his discarded weapons, and sharp pain in his arm reminds him of his injury. He returns to the prone punching bag and tears a strip of his robe off, fashioning a bandage around his damaged flesh. "Check the dead one for anything important, and then help me drag this one back out front. By now the others should have handled the fight out there," he says, before delivering one final light kick to the live one's ribs.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 12:13 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
(Yay! Someone figured out a thing!)

Tiffany

You proceed to do...uhm...something with the pole? As you do so, mentally distract yourself from the various horrid stuff you witnessed today with a careless little daydream. You and a mysterious (But always buff and rugged) man of your dreams, living in a quite cottage together. Ahhh...

Rolf

Despite the lack of any heat-sensitive tissue, you feel a sudden chill, deep in your bones. You know this feeling: The last time it happened, the master was preparing to train you the art of magic missile accuracy via a quite literal method of trial by fire. Best not to dwell on it though.

You hold the gem up to the scroll and presto! You can see red words, clear as day, written on the scroll. You start reading it.

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER, OR SUFFER A FOOLS END.
- ENSURE BOTH CHAMBERS ARE CLOSED OFF FROM EACH OTHER.
- OPEN AND FILL THE LEFT CHAMBER WITH THE CONTENTS OF THE JAR.
- OPEN AND FILL THE RIGHT ONE WITH THE EXTRACT. WAIT FOR IT TO SETTLE.
- CLOSE THE TOP OF BOTH CHAMBERS.
- SIMULTANEOUSLY PRESS THE BUTTONS ON EACH SIDE.
- WAIT UNTIL THE COLOR CHANGES.
- ATTACH THE DEVICE WITH THE POWDER PROVIDED IN KEY STRUCTURAL OR HIGHLY EXPOSED AREA.
- HIDE THE DEVICE. USE THE SCROLL PROVIDED, IF NECESSARY.
- WAIT FOR THE SIGNAL. BE READY TO ACT ON A MOMENT'S NOTICE.
- QUICKLY UNSEAL AND POUR THE CONTENTS OF THE SMALL VIAL INTO THE *LEFT* CHAMBER.

ADDITIONAL:
- DISPOSE OF ANY INTERLOPERS
- IF THE DEVICE IS COMPROMISED, USE THE OTHER SCROLL PROVIDED.

Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 12:19 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
You forgot PUSH BIG RED BUTTON, LAUGHING MANIACALLY AS YOU DO SO.

Can't wait to see where this is going.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 12:34 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
(lol. Horizon will punch Skitter in the face!)

"O-okay." Tiffany started searching the dead Necromancer, using the pole to poke anything strange.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 12:51 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf gathered his thoughts as he looked at all the items. He wanted to make sure that he had everything right.

The instructions were obviously for a bomb. The alchemist cylinder was to be filled with the blue, inert potion on the "left" side (how could you tell which side was left?), and extract on the right. Extract? Rolf looked over the items again. Had he missed something, where was the-

His eyes rested on the crate. That must be it. He debated whether or not to open it. He decided it wasn't hurting anyone right now, and he would leave it closed for the moment.

After that, press a few buttons, use the mineral glue to fasten it in place, hide it with the illusion scroll (the one he had carelessly opened), wait for the long distance call from the boss, and...

Pour the delicate yellow potion in and be blown to smithereens along with the surroundings. Did these people not fear death? Or were they just taught not to question orders? Rolf shuddered at the thought.

He looked up from the items and up at the temple. If they were lucky, they had intercepted the bomb and the temple was safe.

If not, and there was a backup team in the temple, they would have to hurry.

Rolf started packing up the items, they might need them later. "Come on, kobold, we have to find the others."
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 1:24 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
"What? So now we're in a rush?" *grumbles something about stupid pushy tallfolk*
"You may call me Skitter....whatever you are."

Skitter and Rolf head off (not hand in hand, sorry!) to find the others.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 1:29 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Congrats Lynt. You get a reward for figuring all that out: The next time you critically fail something, it critically succeeds instead through sheer luck. Or you can choose to skip rolling and auto-succeed something of your choice.

Tiffany

You poke the bad guy with your stick. Nothing happens. Why would it? It's not like he'll get up or something. Poking some more, you detect something solid in his pocket. It's a small, empty crate. It's insides are slightly icky, something viscous was probably inside.
You also find a red amulet around his neck.

Horizon

You note the scroll he was trying to read: It's the same kind of trapped scroll from before, only the runes on this one are black instead of white, and look inert. You don't recognize what the spell on it is, though. You also find the sack they were hauling - There's a empty jar, specks of that mineral glue powder, and a blank piece of parchment inside.

On him, you find a white gem, similar to the one you had earlier.

Perception
Horizon-> 5 + 8 = 13 Success
Tiffany-> 8 Failure

As you drag the man outside, you barely hear a silent "tink" sound. A small, familiar looking vial rolled out of the man's pocket while you were dragging him, and is about to roll out of the carriage and fall to the floor under it.

Skitter & Rolf

You head on over to the backstage to unite with your "companions".



Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 2:17 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Well, I know what I should do. Fuck it.

Horizon dives for the vial.

That's either DEX(high) or athletics (med). Also roll to identify the liquid it if he saves it (though I'm pretty sure I know what it is already).
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 2:20 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
"Ah!" Tiffany cried, seeing the vial fall. She dropped the necromancer and jumped for the vial as well.
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 2:25 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
C'mon....both get nat 1's! =)
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 2:17 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
*looks at reward* This'll be good for a rainy day. Although with my track record so far, I may be using this fairly soon.

Bronymous, I'm envisioning Skitter & Rolf as more of a comedy duo. Rolf's the straight man, and Skitter's the funny man.

Also, Horizon and Tiffany, one of you might want to grab that vial before it falls. Just a hunch.

edit: Now Ramsus, don't wish for their explosive demise. We like Tiffany and Hori...we like Tiffany. Besides, the blast radius would probably take us with it.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 2:35 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Horizon -> 18 + 8 = 26 -> Success
Tiffany -> 4 -> Failure

You both dive after the vial. Horizon manages to catch it mid-fall. Yup, it's the same volatile vial from before. You check the sack and find it's original safety crate inside, and tuck the vial in. That should prevent any more mishaps. Rolf and Skitter arrive as you do so. You all summarize the events and knowledge that happened to each of you.

(Talk and decide what to do. Rejoice! The party is un-split!)
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 3:01 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
(Assuming that everyone has introduced themselves)

Rolf tried to reflect on all the information that he had heard, and assign priorities. There was apparently at least one more cultist in the temple dormitories, but he didn't seem to have a sack. There was a prisoner to interrogate once he woke up. They still had to untie the people in the wagon (why had the tall stranger just left them there?). Also, he had to see if the black mage was okay (and if it would be rude to ask him to change him back, like, right now). Finally, there were a few magic items he could take a look at (if the scroll was untrapped, free spell for Rolf). Rolf looked around at the used up ingredients around the carriage and was thankful that Tiffany and the tall stranger had gotten to the necromancers before they put the delicate yellow potion in the...

Rolf froze. "Where's the alchemist cylinder!?!"


edit: Roll for Perception in the carriage
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 3:07 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Tiffany rubbed her face as she got up(she fell on her face). "I don't know."
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 3:32 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
"Relax. It has to be around here somewhere. Besides, we secured the catalyst," he holds up the case with the freshly acquired vial, "so I doubt we're in any serious danger right now." He paused, as a wild idea came to mind. "Hey, I just thought of something. We have all of the necessary components AND instructions on how to make one of these bombs. Sooo... Who wants to make a bomb with me?"
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 3:34 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
"No, what if we mess up?" Tiffany asked.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 3:48 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Horizon sure knows his priorities.

Rolf

Perception -> 7

You search through the carriage, but can't find the cylinder anywhere. This is most troubling.


Time to play detective! Think it out, and apply logic. Know your enemy. Also, try to roll higher when looking for clues. :3

Also, I'm assuming your pretty much not going to be splitting up anymore, unless I drag you screaming myself?

Perception

Skitter -> 4
Tiffany -> 10
Horizon -> 19 + 8 = 27

Skitter and Tiffany also fail to find any useful clues on to the cylinders location. Horizon, however, notices that there are bits of mineral glue powder all over the carriage...
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 3:52 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
We won't split up anymore. *whimpers.*

TIffany looked under the carriage.

(Hey, Zarhon, did you get my PM?)
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 4:05 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
I'll STP when I damn well please. I have to admit, though, I'm a little put off that no one,after seeing me in pain, offered to heal me.

I would have declined anyway, but still.

"What if we do it right? Its not exactly a complicated process, and we aren't exactly short handed when it comes to alchemy. Plus side, we would then have a deployable trump card that, with proper planning, could really come in handy." Horizon moves back to the door of the carriage. "But I guess if we can find the missing one, we could use that one, too." He scans the immediate backstage area, and continues, "It doesn't make any sense for them," he gestures to the two necromancers, "to be back here with the bomb trigger if it's planted somewhere else. The live one was working on something when I came in, and if we can wake him up, getting an answer shouldn't be too much of a problem." Horizon rejoins the group. "Other than that, gang, we'll just have to split up and search for clues. Unless anyone has any other ideas."
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 3:51 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
"What would we use it for? Could be useful later though. We always might could run into big hodo bad thing. Or need a distraction. I say we save it. Now...let Skitter see what else we have here..." And with that Skitter started searching the area for the cylinder and other quality loot.

Edit: By "area" I meant just the area with the carriages. He's not going to go wandering into the temple by himself.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 4:20 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf considered the tall stranger's suggestion to interrogate the prisoner. It seemed like a good idea, but then again, if these freaks were willing to die to complete their mission, then it would have to be a REALLY good interrogation.

Rolf gathered his thoughts. The cultists were "still working on something" when Horizon barged in on them. If there was mineral glue all over the carriage, then maybe...

Rolf decided to examine the scroll with blackened runes that was found in the carriage. If it was the evocation scroll, or a used-up illusion scroll, then the cylinder could still be nearby, just invisible.

Like that would make things simpler.

He decided to examine the white gem found in the carriage as well.


(Roll Arcana for the scroll and the gem.)

The real question is what would Zarhon have done if we hadn't noticed the cylinder was missing.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 4:30 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
There we go. I kinda figure our party dynamics run like this:

Rolf is the "smart one"- he knows his stuff, does the thinking (as we've seen), and is the best at gathering info and thinking critically, remembering, and putting it all together.

Horizon is the active one- fighting, social situations (i.e. intimidation), doing his best to make things go smoothly. He also acts as a psuedo-leader, making plans, directing, and giving and receiving cues from the others' contributions.

Tiffany is the moral voice- though, she is as of yet not that vocal. In time I can see her becoming a good moral counterbalance to the rest of us. There's also a good chance she's the heavy lifter, as her strength is probably higher than all of ours.

Skitter is obviously the specialist- stealth, poisons, traps, and getting into places the others can't; he just needs some direction.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind Horizon hasn't actually introduced himself to any of the others yet. I have a reason for that, and I'm hoping for a set-up sometime soon. If not, I'll get around to it eventually.
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 4:41 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
That sounds about right.

Edit: Except that Skitter is clearly the leader. Also, he gets all the girls.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 4:45 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Me : ...Well your cute but I'm married.
Tiffany : Uhhh, I'm a human and your a kolbod.
Lucky Aura : *face hoof*
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 5:07 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Skitter, you poor deluded fool.

Obviously Rolf is the only thing keeping this Ragtag Group of Misfits(TM) focused on the task at hand. By rights, he should be considered the leader.

I'll edit my earlier entries to account for Horizon's...reluctance to share his name.
Zarhon 10th Jul 2012, 5:05 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Arcana -> 12 + 8 = 20

Inspecting the scroll reveals it as an "unlocked" version of the evocation scroll from earlier. Reading its details reveals slightly troubling information: This is an absurdly powerful fireball spell, centered on the caster/reader. Whoever uses this spell would essentially be committing suicide via a gigantic fireball explosion. You also check the scroll itself - Its seal was obviously connected to the runes as part of it's trap/seal enchantment. The seal seems to have been smoothly cut by something.

The gem from the carriage itself appears to be nearly identical to the previous one, if slightly different in shape and other gem imperfections. The only major difference is that this gem is slightly reddish from something.

Looting -> 9 + 8 = 17

You check through all of the areas of the backstage for loo-clues. Yes, clues. You find a lot of interesting junk (Codpieces, fake "golden" armor, impossibly elastic clothing, several sandwiches left over by the acting crew (yum!)). As you drag some of the props around, one of them, a funny looking helmet, suddenly gets stuck to the ground.


(Calling it a night now. Tired.)
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 5:15 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
BALLIN! Everyone grab a codpiece. Team uniform.

And I'll be happy to go with anyone else who wants to be leader, provided one of you actually does something a leader would do.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 5:19 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Me, Tiffany, & Lucky Aura : [bold]NO![/bold]
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 5:27 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf stared at the scroll. It was official; these guys were willing to kill themselves to complete the mission. Rolf shook his head. You can't reason with people who aren't afraid to die. Bribery, bullying, negotiation, all fall at the wayside.

Rolf stared at the gem. Well, some good had come out of this. He was now reasonably sure that this gem was the official cultist letter-opener. Useless for the two suicide-bombs he had on his person, but if they found any more trapped scrolls, he should be able to open them without risk.

He stood up, and turned to the tall stranger. "We've got a problem. If the illusion scroll isn't here, that means they already used it. The cylinder is now either invisible or disguised as something else. I'm thinking invisible." He walked out of the carriage and saw Tiffany kneeling, looking underneath it. "You might have to crawl down there and feel around to find anything." He called out, "Skitter, let us know if you bump into any reasonably solid air." Rolf then went back inside and started feeling around the inside of the carriage, particularly the ceiling and walls.


Yeah, Rolf might shout some commands when he thinks he knows what he's doing, but in the heat of battle he'll probably concede to someone who sounds like he knows what he's doing.

He would, however, think twice before going along with any plan proposed by Skitter.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 5:34 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
"Hold on, I have to take off my armor." Tiffany replied, already unbuckling her armor.

Too bad, she wears normal clothes under the armor.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 5:40 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Well, of course she would. Think of the chafing otherwise, and if she ever got in extremely hot or cold conditions...*shudder*.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 5:48 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Yeah, I'm actually practical with my characters. She has common sense. She won't just be bare nekkid under that armor. I've seen videos of old-timey knights and I looked more at the joints, mostly wondering why most of them didn't have chain-mail on their head to cover their necks.
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 6:06 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
(Well, not my area of expertise in the slightest but maybe the reasoning is some kind of combination of it'd make it harder to turn your head (which is the only way you're going to see thing out of a helmet) and "hey, if you get hit in the neck you're probably screwed anyway so why bother?"

Edit: Oh, on the subject of leaders. I've often found that while sometime you will have a definitive party leader, it's just a well to have the "leader" be whoever has the best plan/most knowledge about the subject. So, if we need arcane solutions it'd certainly be Rolf. If we needed to poison an entire town or kill the king it'd probably be between Skitter and Horizon. And if we need to be nice we'll leave it up to Tiffany. =P

Now watch as the GM hands us a situation where our battle plan has to revolve around being nice.)

Skitter keeps the elastic clothing (could come in handy).

"Sure I'll do that. So, *pause for thought* Rolf? You're a fancy magic man right? Any chance you can figure out a way for us to not explode ourselves if we use these explody things?" And then he crawls under the carriages looking for invisible (or not invisible) things. As he's met magic men before and they do a lot of long pondering silences and equally long ponderous answers, he figures that even if Rolf has an answer before he comes back, he gets to avoid the unintelligible mubo jumbo and just get a yes or no answer from one of the others.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 9:32 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
It has to do with weight- chainmail, contrary to popular belief, is really, REALLY heavy. Similarly, plate armor is actually quite flexible- some mobility is sacrificed, but not much. Both weigh a ton, and the only thing they really differ on is what they protect against: Plate is good for absorbing heavy blows, but its rigid shape leaves gaps that can be exploited by piercing weapons. Chainmail covers more effectively, but doesn't stop the blunt force trauma; hence, padded or quilted clothing to be worn underneath either type.

There are also historical context and technological advances to consider, and the "24-hour Armor" trope tends to confuse people, but you wouldn't actually wear armor in most situations where comfort is an important factor.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 5:59 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Oh, you mean her armor isn't just two metal cups and a chain loincloth? #sarcasm

...
...
...
Those people are still tied up. And the one guy is bleeding out. lol.

Horizon, having nothing much else to do, returns to the unconscious necromancer, and begins thinking of ways to wake him up. After a few pokes, prods, and smacks to the face with no response, he gives up and takes a seat, waiting for results from the others.
Kris_The_Guest 10th Jul 2012, 6:07 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
It's more plate mail then anything.
Hmmm, maybe I should make a picture of Tiffany with this character maker : http://www.kongregate.com/games/xdanond/anime-character-maker-2

Done : http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Kaitlynblue_2010/DnDTiffany.png
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 6:30 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Checked out that maker. Not impressed. Then again, not a huge fan of anime, so...

I like how long the "extra short hair" on the guy is. If my hair was that long, I would be a month overdue for a haircut.
Lyntermas 10th Jul 2012, 6:08 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
I think Zarhon said that Tiffany stabilized the mage. But after Rolf is done feeling around inside this carriage, he'll probably go to the others.

edit: Skitter, um, you might want to go back for that helmet.
Ramsus 10th Jul 2012, 10:29 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
Oops, I forgot about that. Maybe one of the rest of you could notice it? It wouldn't make much sense for Skitter to stop searching under the carriages to suddenly go get it. And it'd be hard to say he does it after with no knowledge of what he finds down there.
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 5:06 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Tiffany and Skitter go skulking under the carriages, looking for any potentially invisible cylinders. Poking around the undersides, you don't find anything in any of the empty spaces large enough to host the device. You also check out the insides of the carriages: Skitter gleefully ignoring the prisoners the prisoners (Don't mind me!), Tiffany checking up on the props wizard (He's a bit better, no longer struggling to talk, but he's still in pretty bad shape). Neither of you find the device (Skitter finds a hat big enough for him to sleep in, though).

Horizon

Horizon, starts walking around out of boredom, kicking around some of the props the Kobold left behind whilst rummaging. He's like a miniature hurricane. Codpieces... silly little pantaloons... Stupid looking helm-

You kick the helmet on the ground. Despite this, the helmet refuses to budge, and in turn, causes the applied force to be directly returned to its point of origin (Your toes). Colorful vocabulary that will not be described ensues.

Rolf

You hear somewhat angry yelling from the hostage carriage, as Skitter checks it.
Kris_The_Guest 11th Jul 2012, 5:23 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Tiffany looked out of the carriage with the Props Wizard. "What's wrong?" She asked, concern in her voice.
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 8:21 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
(I was hoping someone would kick the helmet. Glad it wasn't me).

Rolf went outside, his efforts had been fruitless. He went outside to see the tall stranger swearing a blue streak and clutching his boot. Apparently he had stubbed his toe or something. Tiffany was poking her head outside.

"I'll go untie the actors. Hopefully one of them is a healer," he said as he passed. Granted, a healer would probably be more needed for the prop wizard than for a stubbed toe, but Rolf noticed that the tall stranger's arm was blistered. Wouldn't hurt to have a healer look at that.

As he went into the actor's carriage, he saw the three figures that the tall stranger had described...and Skitter, rummaging around, seemingly oblivious to the people tied up watching him.

Rolf facepalmed. "Skitter, stop that. The actors need these props more than you do," he said. He considered also saying something like "And stealing is wrong," but he thought it might be just a tiny bit hypocritical to do so. "And to answer your earlier question, the only way to avoid "exploding ourselves" would be to get someone else to set off the bombs for us. Or perhaps set up some kind of time-delay system."

He quickly went about untying the actors. "Don't be alarmed, I'm Rolf, the last minute understudy for Jimmy. My...allies and I are trying to stop the cultist's plan. If any of you are healers, I believe the props wizard could use your attention." Then he muttered, "...and maybe the tall stranger's arm if you're so inclined."


edit: A thought struck Rolf as he untied them. "You...all know each other, right? No chance one of you is a cultist in disguise?"

(Oh, and happy 22nd birthday to me.)
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 10:42 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Well that's interesting, for three reasons:

A) I didn't know "taking a seat and waiting for the others" translated to "walk around kicking stuff".

2) I didn't know you could stub your toe in plated boots.

d) Someone who can shrug off anything from blistering skin to cracked ribs and near-fatal lacerations without much show apparently can't handle stubbing his toe (through said plated boots).

But its ok, I'm not mad. just rolling with it. And it probably makes more sense that Rolf saw the improvised bandages on his arm, rather than the skin, which is not exposed.

Was gonna say more, but gotta go right now, I'll be back in an hour or so with Horizon's turn.

Ramsus 11th Jul 2012, 11:02 AM edit delete reply
Ramsus
"Huh? Ok, just trying to be (self) helpful." said Skitter as he put down any assorted nicknacks and whatsits he didn't particularly want to keep.

Skitter noticed that with the actors untied, the rope was now free to tie up the cultist guy. So he went and did that while thinking about how these people really had their priorities backwards. Step 1) Make sure you don't die. Step 2) Loot. Step 3) Other stuff.


(Edit: Congrats on not having died yet!)
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 12:05 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Ok, so...

"Well," Horizon began, after his tirade had subsided, "This is either the stupidest prop anyone has ever designed..." He kneels down to try and lift it, "Or, more likely, I think I just found our missing bomb. Definitely heavy enough." Unable to determine if it is or not, he calls for Rolf. "Hey, Bone-sack! I need your Magic Eyes over here!"

He's still a little upset about his toe.
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 1:33 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
@Brony
- I assumed he was bored enough to go kicking random things (Especially things irrelevant to whatever task is about, like those props)
- Plated boots? I thought you had regular boots. When'd you mention those, I missed it. It would still probably hurt nonetheless.
- Adrenaline/anger made him shrug those two off. The toe he didn't expect.
- Tropes are cool.

Horizon

Lifting the helmet causes unexpected resistance, as if it's being held in place. Upon closer inspection, it's not so much stuck, as much a its glued: The helmet is covered in barely visible mineral glue dust. The helmet must have gotten some onto itself while it was being dragged and promptly got stuck to the floor.


(If you feel like you need hints, you could roll int/wisdom or similar skills to "think it out" a bit and get to some "logical" conclusions, as long as it's focusing something relevant.)
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 1:54 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
I have an idea, but I need to get back outside in order to carry it out.
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 2:12 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
What's stopping you?
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 2:16 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
I need to make sure the actors I untied are alright, if any of them are healers, etc. Once I head outside and Horizon explains, I can see what I can do about the...dripping problem?
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 2:27 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
The guy in the yellow robe recognizes you - he was the cleric from before that hired you in the first place. He thanks you and sets about to helping the prop wizard (He's a healer, mostly). The other two ran off to safety outside (The woman had the misfortune of almost feinting again when you woke her up).

Also, what do you mean by "outside", outside the carriage (where the helmet is), or outside the backstage area(where the crowd used to be)?
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 2:30 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
I told you about the boots the same time I told you about the helmet I'm wearing that prevents anyone from seeing my face right now, but I'm betting you don't remember that either. Technically I never said they were plated, but I did say they, along with the helmet and gauntlets, matched the breast plate, which I intended to mean armored as well as designed.
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 2:44 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf stepped outside the carriage and saw the tall stranger standing next to the helmet. After hearing that it was stuck to the ground using mineral glue it collected from being dragged around by Skitter, Rolf thought for a minute.

The mineral glue was found in small specks inside the carriage. The idiot cultists must have applied the glue inside the carriage and then carried it out. Some of the mineral glue must have dripped off as they carried it. If they were lucky, they could follow the trail of mineral glue straight to the alchemist cylinder, illusion or no.

Rolf told his idea to the tall stranger and asked him to gather any small rocks or pebbles he could find on the ground. Rolf himself started to pick up about a handleful of small rocks. He then went back into the actor's carriage and searched until he found a broom. He then went back outside the carriage, dropped some small rocks near the helmet, and started sweeping, hoping they would stick to something.


(If it's close but not quite, I'd like to make an Intelligence roll (high ranks cause, you know, wizard)).
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 2:52 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
You sweep the rocks along the floor until they suddenly stick to it. You continue doing so until a small trail presents itself: Leading from the carriage, to the market stall entrance. The trail ends afterwards: the blood of the stabbed womans corpse pooled through the trail, washing it away.

Int roll -> 6 + 8 = 14 -> Success

Well, the trail ends there. It must be somewhere out here though. Hmmmmm. They probably had to carry this outside while the crowd was still in chaos, otherwise someone would have noticed them...
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 3:38 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Oh, hey, I think I know someone who noticed them!

Horizon, after following the trail to the dead woman, immediately begins heading along the stalls, looking for one in particular. "This way, lich." He continues until he reaches the stall in question, the stall where he noticed a commotion, just before the Necromancers made their move.

I guess perception check, unless it's in plain sight.

Assuming I have any idea what I'm talking about at this point.
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 3:45 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf swore a bit at he swept all around the stabbed corpse and found no sign of any further trail. Then he looked at the woman and thought, "Well, it didn't exactly work out roses for her either, did it?"

He watched as the tall stranger ran past him, telling him to follow. Rolf remembered him mentioning a merchant who was behaving strangely before the performance. Rolf followed behind him, occasionally feeling along the inner walls of the stalls as he passed.
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 4:38 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Actually, the stabbed woman *was* that merchant. She was the one behaving oddly earlier.
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 4:45 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
...

...

Well, was the thing right next to her? No? Then we're looking around, since apparently the big thing we were missing is dead on the floor and doesn't lead to anything specific.

Perception checks, all around!
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 4:57 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf thought for a moment. If the woman was the merchant, then either the cylinder would be right here, or she just managed to see it somewhere and was silenced. Now it could be anywhere along the row of stalls, invisible and...

Wait. If the cylinder was invisible, how would the cultist be able to pour the delicate yellow liquid in? Rolf reached into his pocket, pulled out the amulet, shrugged, held the amulet up to his eye, and looked through near the woman and up and down the stalls
.

(Can't hurt to try).
Ramsus 11th Jul 2012, 5:03 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
Skitter, following along, also aided in the search.
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 5:42 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Rolf

Amulet in hand, you peer through it, and suddenly see the cylinder, attached to the side of the merchants stall! Looks like the merchant was standing barely a few feet from the device. Most likely a hostage, forced to keep her mouth shut. Didn't help her much in the end, though. They probably killed her once they no longer needed her to keep them concealed.

It looks pretty much identical to the one you had before. You can't tell whats in it though, without opening it.
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 6:31 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf had to admit, whoever made these bombs kits had them streamlined down pat. Any mook with a bit of magic in them could use these items effectively. The downside is that ANYONE can use them to try to take the plan apart, as well.

Rolf reached in his pocket, pulled out the other amulets they had collected, and handed one each to the tall stranger and Skitter (keeping one for himself), instructing them to look through them.

"With these amulets, finding any more hidden bombs should be easy. We might want to head into the temple soon, though. Zilean seemed to think it was the temple that was supposed to explode, not the audience.

Which brings us to this cylinder here. Judging from the used up materials in the carriage, it might already be primed. The instructions said that the "color would change" once the two were mixed, but I don't know what that refers to. Sorry, Knife-Guy, but it looks like this cylinder is glued to the wall. If you're dead set on taking it, you're gonna have to pry it off. I'm for trying to disarm the thing. As of right now, the compound should be stable unless exposed to extreme heat, so we should be able to just open the chambers and scoop it out."

"So," he asked, looking at the other two. "Who wants to try opening the chambers?"
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 6:58 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
"If this were a different situation, I would vote the guy already missing his skin. But we know how they work- it shouldn't be primed yet, we have the catalyst." Horizon again produces the small case holding the vial. "What bothers me is that they weren't standing by ready to light it up. They were either waiting for something, or had another purpose for being back there." He held the amulet up to his eye, examining the cylinder through it. "For all we know, there's another one back in that caravan. Whatever the plan is, the necromancer we already have can tell us more." Horizon removes his helmet (giving Rolf a look at his face for the first time), and secured the amulet in front of his eye. He then draws his kukri, and attempts to pry the cylinder open, hoping to disarm it. "I would say take a few steps back, but if this thing goes off I doubt that'll make a difference."

Fingers crossed. If I were a betting man, I'd say we're about to see a bunch of rocks falling.
Kris_The_Guest 11th Jul 2012, 7:10 PM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Tiffany was hiding behind a makeshift shield.

Sorry I haven't been posting. I got Pokemon Conquest and I have barely put it down. I have to put it down because of sleep reasons.
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 7:12 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Apparently she's also a ninja.
Calypso 12th Jul 2012, 9:37 PM edit delete reply
OMG it is that good? So much want.
Zarhon 11th Jul 2012, 7:30 PM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Horizon

Disarm roll -> 7

Using your Kukri, you attempt to pry open the cylinder. You carefully nudge it into a loose slit, and apply pressure. You easily open it, but also break it in process. You quickly realize the cylinder wasn't holding just liquid. Pressure escapes from the cylinder, in a fashion similar to champagne, only instead of foam, you are blasted with a jet of an acrid, damp, purple smoke. It quickly blinds you, as the smoke burns your eyes like tear gas.


(Not sure how to roll on this now... He essentially got hit near-point blank by the initial escaping smoke. What kind of save should he make against that, if any? A partial save would seem best.

Also, sleep times now kk thxbye. Probably continued on next comic.
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 7:40 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
CON or Fort save? CON is med to high.

Of course I just took my damn helmet off. I told you the guy without skin should have done it!
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 7:45 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Well, Rolf certainly isn't gonna have any guilt complex about this that makes him think twice about asking the props wizard to change him back.
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 7:49 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
I hope it's just some kind of noxious fumes or neuro-toxin. If I lose my face I will be so upset.

Tough now that I reread it, it doesn't seem to be burning my skin, just my eyes, so I think I'll be alright.
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 8:39 PM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
(I'll just help move things along so we can get going tomorrow).

Rolf watched in horror as the purple smoke shot straight into Knife-Guy's face. He quickly rushed forward and pulled Knife-Guy away from the steaming cylinder.

Rolf started to mentally berate himself. How could he not have guessed the cylinder was pressurized? Knife-Guy was right; if Rolf had opened the cylinder, he would have been fine. He had no skin, not even eyeballs. But, noooooo, he had stepped back like the coward he was and let someone else take the hit. Stupid, stupid Rolf!

Rolf shook off the thought and started barking orders. "Tiffany, help me carry Knife-Guy backstage! Skitter, go on ahead, find the guy in the yellow robe, and tell him that we need healing NOW!"
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 9:02 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Awww, you so sweet.
Ramsus 11th Jul 2012, 9:15 PM edit delete reply
Ramsus
Before running off to fetch the healer Skitter says, "Next time you let Skitter handle traps instead of stabbing crudely with knife yes?"
Kris_The_Guest 12th Jul 2012, 4:02 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
Tiffany rushed over, grabbing Horizon. "Don't worry, you'll be okay." Tiffany was trying to reassure him.

Bleh, stupid sleep.
Zarhon 12th Jul 2012, 6:02 AM edit delete reply
Zarhon
Rolf carries knife-guy away from the cylinder, which continues to emit smoke at a steady rate. He feels slightly tingly as it envelops him, but otherwise is unaffected. He quickly brings him to the cleric, who asks what happened. You explain, and the cleric observes him for a while, before setting off to work, trying to heal him from potential toxins, burns or injuries.

Horizon
Con save -> 10 + 5 = 15

Luckily, the smoke didn't seem to cause any permanent effects (other than your eyes, which are very bloodshot). It's very likely toxic though, and a lot of it hit your face, so you'll have to have it cleaned off of you at least, lest it seep into your skin.

Perception
13, 14, 18 -> Skitter highest

As he makes sure that Horizon is lootable ok, Skitter casually glances around. As he does so, he looks straight at the market stall entrance, and sees that the purple smoke is starting to enter the backstage...

Edit: BLUH forgot about new comic. Keep posting here till some more comments spill in. Next update is on new comic page.
Lyntermas 12th Jul 2012, 8:44 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Rolf took a sigh of relief as he watched the cleric take Knife-Guy away. It seemed that the injury from the smoke was treatable, and Knife-Guy would be fine. Rolf sat down. This whole "hero" thing had gone fairly well. They had evacuated the crowd, stopped the cultists (except for that one still in the temple, they really should get on that), disarmed the cylinder, and what was Skitter staring at?

Rolf turned and saw the purple, toxic smoke coming toward the backstage area. He remembered that the cylinder had been emitting smoke at a steady rate when he left.

Rolf swore. "It never rains but it pours!", he thought. He quickly tried to think back when he was at the Tumberlane School for Gifted Youngsters (city-sponsored magic elementary). He tried to remember what the rules were for fire safety (a particular concern when 3rd-graders could potentially shoot fire from their fingertips).

Rolf stood up. "Tiffany, get the actors in the carriages and have them stuff wet cloth under the doors and in the cracks of any windows. Tell them not to come out until I give the all clear."

Rolf rushed into one of the carriages and pulled three cloaks off the costume rack. He came out of the carriage, found a nearby water barrel, and dunked two of the cloaks into it. He then ran to Skitter. He handed Skitter one of the wet cloaks.

"Skitter, I need you to go back to the cylinder and try stuffing this into the cracks to slow down the smoke, if you can get near it safely. Then, I want you to take a look at the cylinder and see if there's any way to stop more smoke from coming out."

Rolf wrapped the remaining wet cloth around his waist and readied the dry cloth. He started swinging the dry cloth in the air back and forth, trying to dissipate the smoke. He felt some tingling on his bones, but otherwise he seemed unhampered by the smoke. As he desperately tried to dissipate the smoke, slowly making his way toward the cylinder, he tried going over the plan in his head. While technically viable, there was no guarantee that the wet cloth would significantly slow down the smoke. But what else could he do?

What else could he do?


(Roll for INT for hint. I'm starting to think that if Rolf encounters a situation where he can't even TRY to help people, he's not gonna take it well.)
Kris_The_Guest 12th Jul 2012, 8:53 AM edit delete reply
Kris_The_Guest
"O-okay!" Tiffany took off.
Ramsus 12th Jul 2012, 9:52 AM edit delete reply
Ramsus
Skitter nods and goes and tries to stop the gas pouring out of the cylinder or otherwise disarm or neutralize it.
Bronymous 12th Jul 2012, 10:18 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Well that was slightly more anti-climactic than I thought it would be.

Horizon, still dazed and partially blinded, barely registers the fact that a healer is checking him over. Far at the back of his mind, the part that is still aware of what is going on, alarms are going off about being left alone with the healer when there is an unknown cultist somewhere on the loose. In his drained state, though, he can't manage more than a few coughs or groans as a means of protest.

Horizon, being slightly paranoid and always expecting the worst, will generally avoid the use of healing spells unless it is an absolute emergency. He prefers Health potions, which he can more readily identify as genuine or not. Obviously, though, in a situation like this, he has little to say on the matter.
Destrustor 10th Jul 2012, 3:08 PM edit delete reply
Oh we are so very slow. An indecisive, bickering, time-wasting group. And that's when we even stay focused on the game.
My DM once had five pages of preparation notes. In ten hours of play we barely got past half of the first page. He usually doesn't really try to get us to move.
There was one time our party was told that the big bad guy's plan would be completed "in a few days". We assumed we had two days so we spent the whole following day organising and celebrating a marriage. And then the world almost ended.
Demonu 10th Jul 2012, 3:59 PM edit delete reply
Demonu
Getting a party moving in my group nowadays usually befalls to doing/mentioning anything that could even have the slightest, most remote negative impact on Sarah or her life and the group becomes a roaring storm of vengeance.

There are some stories about that but let's see what I can dig up on time.
Bronymous 10th Jul 2012, 4:10 PM edit delete reply
Bronymous
Oh yeah, the Five Fathers. Forgot about them.

That's what we're talking about right?
Demonu 10th Jul 2012, 4:21 PM edit delete reply
Demonu
Yeah, gonna see what I can dig up about them tomorrow but for now, I'm off to bed.

Bye bye, everyone.
Miyajima 10th Jul 2012, 5:34 PM edit delete reply
In our weekly WoWRPG sessions, we recently had to go through a large series of traps. After accidentally setting off the first few through haste, stupidity, and elves, we decided to take the next one carefully.

We spent the next two hours debating about how to disarm it.

The trap died of boredom. We walked through unscathed.
Akouma 10th Jul 2012, 9:58 PM edit delete reply
Akouma
Well, there was the story I've told at least eight times now of how one of my players, when let into an area of a monastery that the party hadn't been yet (not a secret room or anything, just they hadn't had the time yet), decided that clearly there HAD to be secret doors, treasure, traps and other secret silliness. He rolled Thievery checks every few seconds loudly announcing each result and was being incredibly disruptive. Eventually, he rolled a natural 20, and I decided that actually making up a secret room that didn't previously exist would more likely shut him up than giving him another no.

They found ridiculously powerful enchanted equipment in there, but said equipment was bound to one user, and one user only. One of the enchantments on the armor brings that user back from the dead in times of need as an immortal phantom unable to speak. (But as they soon discovered, if you had telepathy you could talk to him.) With permission from the leaders in the monastery, they raised the bonded user, convinced him to help in the coming war effort in exchange for helping with the crapstorm he was predicting would come at some point (read: not five minutes after they WON that war), and now he's a major NPC.
Ranubis 10th Jul 2012, 11:20 PM edit delete reply
Ranubis
Last time, on Pony Tales:
"This is all Alcazar's fault."
"Full speed ahead, break the wall!"
"You must choose, which pony will live, and which pony will die."

That session... wow.
Heat Wave 10th Jul 2012, 11:27 PM edit delete reply
And finding out what happened to Heat Wave. Or as her name is now, Conflagria.
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 11:54 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Logan, how many times did you say your mind broke again? I forgot.

Karilyn 10th Jul 2012, 11:32 PM edit delete reply
Karilyn
Fuck this shit. I am so selling your soul Alcazar to save Heat Wave. I don't care, you are so boned.

It's all your fault Heat Wave [CENSORED]
It's all your fault Charming Waltz [CENSORED]
It's all your fault Stylus [CENSORED]

You've officially done more bad things to the party than the villains combined... nearly twice over.

Your soul is sold so freaking hard.

At this point, I think I have said "This is all Alcazar's fault" at least 100 times. And I meant every single one of them. Every. Single. Bad thing which has happened to us in this campaign since Heat Wave was captured is his fault.
Oblivious 10th Jul 2012, 11:33 PM edit delete reply
Oblivious
Yeah...if you take anything away from all this, seriously, fuck Heat Wave.
Karilyn 10th Jul 2012, 11:38 PM edit delete reply
Karilyn
I don't blame Heat Wave. I blame Alcazar. I wanted to spend more time searching for Heat Wave. I wanted him to wait more time before trying to make a deal with Methisto. I didn't want us to open the casket.

Oh he is so freaking dead. There is no words for how dead he is.
Stairc 10th Jul 2012, 11:52 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
*Mephisto cackles*

"It seems discord has indeed spread through the champions of harmony."
Karilyn 11th Jul 2012, 12:04 AM edit delete reply
Karilyn
We were just saying that inside the voice chat.

Actually we've been talking about it in chat. Mephisto has done more to help the party, and generally expressed more concern about our wellbeing, than Alcazar.

FREAKING PONY SATAN has shown more concern about the party's welfare than Alcazar. Of course he's only shown concern because he wants us to trip up over catches, but still, he's shown more false concern than Alcazar has shown real or false concern!

Alcazar has been shown to not care who or what happens to anybody in his team, as long as he's able to pursue his single-minded task of retrieving the amulet.

If Inky Quills fails to kill Alcazar in the next session, and is somehow deflected, there's no way Alcazar will ever be permitted to make a decision again, and if he tries to ignore us and do it anyway, he's going to get bucked in the face by either me or Soaring Song, or both of us at the same time.

EDIT: Why am I still talking like I'm in character? Derp. No, I'm not actually angry at Ranubis, but Inky Quills is beyond furious at Alcazar. Even if just the thing with Stylus was the only thing that happened, she'd still be so impossibly angry.
Ranubis 11th Jul 2012, 5:15 AM edit delete reply
Ranubis
:(

I just don't know what went wrong!
Zuche 11th Jul 2012, 6:44 AM edit delete reply
You ate the salmon mousse, didn't you?
Cain 11th Jul 2012, 7:41 AM edit delete reply
Cain
Satan doing better than the paladin... I have no words... beyond this "you fail"
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 8:19 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
Actually, this is more a "road to hell is paved with good intentions" thing. Alcazar's noble intentions get the party into trouble at times, while Mephisto's cunning manipulation is tearing them apart.

A true test of their friendship.
Karilyn 11th Jul 2012, 9:04 AM edit delete reply
Karilyn
I dunno if you could call ignoring Heat Wave and hoping we stumble across her would qualify as "good intentions." I'm pretty much entirely on Heat Wave's side at this point (Didn't think I'd ever say that). I think she's incredibly justified ATM, extremely sympathetic and needing to be saved, to whatever extent we are able to, which probably isn't much.

Normally good guys don't say "Screw it, she's a casualty, just leave her behind." Of course, Commander Hurricane said that, but Alcazar isn't Commander Hurricane... or is he? DUN DUN DUN!

>Discussing another character, in-character on a comments session
>my head hurts from all the strangeness

To reiterate though, I have no personal beef against Ranubis, and I acknowledge he is doing what he thinks is best. Inky however, doesn't acknowledge that. My head hurts @_@
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 8:16 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
"FREAKING PONY SATAN has shown more concern about the party's welfare than Alcazar. Of course he's only shown concern because he wants us to trip up over catches, but still, he's shown more false concern than Alcazar has shown real or false concern!"

We are still talking about the Alcazar who willingly sacrificed himself to save the rest of you, which is the only reason you got away from those changelings, and did it despite your protests? Same Alcazar who didn't blink before offering to pay Mephisto in exchange for him helping save Inky? ;)

Last I checked, Alcazar has been selfless and noble throughout all of this. I know Inky's in character due to her complicated feelings towards Alcazar and Stylus, but for those forum-readers - I want to remind everyone that our Paladin is noble indeed.

Oblivious 11th Jul 2012, 9:31 AM edit delete reply
Oblivious
I think so far, I'm the only one advocating for the paladin...granted, he also did some lawful stupid things, but still. Road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.
The Guest 11th Jul 2012, 9:54 AM edit delete reply
Conflict! Danger! Sinister machinations!

*cue happy theme song*
Karilyn 11th Jul 2012, 10:05 AM edit delete reply
Karilyn
Soaring Song, you're the only pony in the party on Alcazar's side ATM (other than possibly his wife). You're also the only one who isn't sympathetic to Heat Wave (even Alcazar is sympathetic to her IIRC). I've heard your argument, and I honestly don't understand it, but hey, differing viewpoints is natural.
Zuche 11th Jul 2012, 10:22 AM edit delete reply
I'm going to have "FREAKING PONY SATAN" stuck in my head for days now. Sounds like it would make for a fun curse.
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 12:24 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
Epic.
LoganAura 11th Jul 2012, 6:43 PM edit delete reply
LoganAura
My brain broke 5 times staicrc. and I died laughing/crying thrice, and I became speechless about everytime someone rolled something wacky.
ThousandYearSunrise 11th Jul 2012, 8:20 AM edit delete reply
ThousandYearSunrise
Isn't it amazing how the actual comic only takes up like 5% of the page length?
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 8:42 AM edit delete reply
Stairc
Newbiespud, seriously was fun to have you in the game last night. It was great to DM for you again.
Kaleopolitus 11th Jul 2012, 8:56 AM edit delete reply
Kaleopolitus
Wow, I never knew you guys were actually d&d'ing on the comment pages now. Very nice!

Wish I had the time to read everything, but in between everything that's going on it's a miracle if I have the time to just skip through the comments really quickly.

I miss you guys :/
Lyntermas 11th Jul 2012, 9:23 AM edit delete reply
Lyntermas
Good to hear from you, Kaleopolitus. I was wondering where'd you gone. Hope life and stress don't get you down.
Bronymous 11th Jul 2012, 10:30 AM edit delete reply
Bronymous
You mean you're not reading how awesome I'm being? Sad face.
Kaleopolitus 12th Jul 2012, 10:14 AM edit delete reply
Kaleopolitus
I make a honest attempt to read everything everyone in our old clique says, but it's not what I'd call 'easy' to fit that in.
Vapor 11th Jul 2012, 10:05 AM edit delete reply
Our dm once gave us a dragon-shaman kobold and his cronies who led us deeper into the cave. Mostly because we spent like a page and a half (forum roleplay) yelling at him to come out.
Vapor 11th Jul 2012, 10:07 AM edit delete reply
Oh, and a different dm makes our characters paralyzed with indecision in-game if we're paralyzed with indecision for too long out-of-game... though that one's an interactive webcomic, so i'm not sure it counts.
Demonu 11th Jul 2012, 10:20 AM edit delete reply
Demonu
Kaleopolitus, great to see you back.

In relation to the comic, I once had a letter delivered to the group's house, stating a local baron's request for the group to meet him in his castle as soon as possible. However, the thing was that they were hot on the trail of (an aspect of) the overarching quest and that they couldn't risk getting sidetracked for too long. This caused some internal debate about wether or not to grant the baron his request, with the paladin and cleric stating they should help out every person that asked for their help while the fighter and the wizard stating that pursuing the overarching quest was for the greater good and that the baron would be able to handle his own affairs (or else he would make for a crappy baron to rely on (total) strangers) The rogue didn't care one way or another what they did and refused to get involved, lest he caused more strife within the group.

The debate went on for several minutes until I decided to intervene. I had a second messenger deliver another message from the baron which read:
"I hate to resort to this but if you do not come to meet me, I will make sure that Sarah won't be invited to my granddaughter's birthday celebration coming month."

The fighter (both PC and player) slams his hands on the table and stands up:
"Gentlemen, this just got personal."

All in all, they did agree to help the baron, although they did make him sign a written promise saying that they can act/move freely within his barony (within common reason), that Sarah will be invited AND that there will be chocolate-strawberry cake served.
Stairc 11th Jul 2012, 12:25 PM edit delete reply
Stairc
That's absolutely wonderful. I love these stories.
Ranubis 11th Jul 2012, 1:26 PM edit delete reply
Ranubis
And yet another awesome and charming Five Fathers tale. I shudder to ask, but was anyone ever foolish enough to try and get to the group by attacking Sarah?
Demonu 11th Jul 2012, 2:51 PM edit delete reply
Demonu
Not the group per se but there was this one time when a bandit lord and his gang tried to strong-arm the town to give into their demands by holding the school's teachers and children hostage.

Things got really ugly really fast...
Kaleopolitus 12th Jul 2012, 10:14 AM edit delete reply
Kaleopolitus
Your stories, they are the shit.

Stay classy, Demonu.
Innisa 11th Jul 2012, 2:05 PM edit delete reply
I'm not sure about the nudging, but the usual gang I play with manage to go off where our DM was planning on sending us. Example: the goal was to do a simple search/rescue from a goblin village, but the barbarian, paladin, and ranger decided to raze the entire village. Amazingly, none of the young children were killed in the onslaught. As the warriors were about to end all their little lives, the bard (only girl character) stopped them and decided to adopt all the orphan goblin little ones... the rest of the campaign was spent trying to find a way to get them to a good home. (The person meant to be found was burned in the fires they started....)

... I was crying from all the laughter...